Wednesday, May 30, 2007

When smart people go stupid

According to the this site
Stupid:
stu·pid adjective, noun 1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.

I am not saying that these people are stupid all the time. There are just spaces of time where the brain appears to slow down causing lapses in judgement. Unfortunately the brain might not speed back up until some part of your body is being gnawed on.
If you are attacked while hunting, surfing, hiking, jogging in the woods, camping etc. you have my sympathies but you did ask for it. On youtube there are countless videos of people preforming acts that can only been done when that quickness of mind is on the fritz.

For instance this woman who was a student serving on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration research ship Discoverer. She had to be smart to get this six month tour but when she decided to take a swim in the balmy waters about 300 miles east of Easter Island she met up with a great white. Heather Boswell does not blame the shark she says, as well she shouldn't. In the ocean it is the law of the biggest predator. We are not it!

Don't get me started on surfing. Attach a fiberglass board to a human and instant seal look alike. Go ahead. Surf. Don't complain when Jaws mistakes you for a little debbie.

Hunters. If it eats you before you eat it, don't complain.

I love the zoo but can you guess how many ammeter videos there are showing people being attacked? Yikes. Take the recent Bokito incident. The gorilla got out of his enclosure which is really amazing since he had to cross a water barrier and gorillas can't swim. I go to the zoo to see animals that I would never get to see close up. I know that the zoo has put forth measure to try and ensure my safety but you can only do so much. Bokito proved that.

I am still going to the zoo. If I get attacked and die just put "I told me so" on my grave.

Now do not get me wrong. I think that we should all be able to live life without fear of animals. All I am asking for is a healthy respect for the fact that they are natural predators. If you go into their "house" expect to play by their rules. Do not come out of it with all the whining about "I don't know what happened." You were available that is what happened.
"What did I do to provoke it?" Gee I dunno, breathe? I don't usually see grizzly bears so if I do I am going to be provoked to get a gun and shoot it. My guess is the bear feels similar about me.

1 comment:

  1. Heheh.

    Heheh.

    Yeah, that follows my theory on snakes. If I don't go outside, they don't get provoked and therefore, leave me alone. Everyone is happy. I am much paler and dish out money to do some ridiculous trend like lay in a tanning bed, but hey, the snakes are happy and that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete