Saturday, May 12, 2007

Saturday Morning Cartoons- 80's style


My memories of the 80's are sparse except for the cartoons I watched. I can clearly remember Lady Lovely Locks and the Pixie Tails was as vital to me as air. I even dressed up in a home made Lady Lovely Locks costume one year for Halloween complete with pixie tail hair accessories. My first year of college I found all my dolls and play sets in the attic. I think I had every piece of merchandise ever marketed.


And what about Jem and the holograms? You could go from business woman to rock star all from one set of earrings. Unfortunately they were phased out during the heart of barbie mania. I was bummed until Mattel came out with Barbie and the Rockers. I switched over without any real trouble. I even had the lunchbox. What did I know about loyalty? I was five for crying out loud! Besides Barbie did not have that whole complicated love story with Rio, Jerrica/Jem, and Riot. it was always vinyl head Ken. Made life simpler.


Rainbow Brite was never a big thing in my house. I did have one Rainbow Brite movie that I watched until it quit working. "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer" . Scary that I remember the title. Even scarier that I remember the entire movie.


Strawberry Shortcake annoyed me. I think it was the smell all the dolls had. For some reason I just disliked her intensely. Apparently I had issues even then.


My ultimate fav was She-Ra. I was over the moon for that show. The only thing that I did not like was that He Man was her brother. I wanted then to hook up. I got over it quickly and learned to accept Bow as the love interest. I tried to watch a few episodes of the series recently. Beloved childhood cartoons do not translate into adulthood. So sad really. Rory loved it though. Better than Sponge Bob I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I loved all mentioned. Even strawberry shortcake and Rainbow Brite. Def ticked when Jem went away, but I did have a Barbie and the Rockers stage with all the accessories so my loyalty must not have run all that deep either, LOL! Oh and my boyfriend in Kindergarten and I use to play He Man and She Ra together (I must have secretly hoped they would hook up too) and I almost broke my ankle pretending to be her one day! What happened to the really great, so so quality animated classics? They were the best. I also loved the Smurfs, Fraggle Rock, and the original Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles later on. Ahhhhh, those were the days.

    ReplyDelete