Monday, May 21, 2007

As cute a vermin can be


This is Harvey.
Harvey is a field vole.
Harvey lives in a maze of complicated burrows connected underneath my front and side yards.
I just met Harvey for the first time face to face this morning.
Neither of us was very pleased.
I discovered what I have come to call "Harvey Holes" when we moved in last year. Being from Texas my first thought was snake. After briefly panicking I was informed that no those were vole burrows. "What the heck is a vole?" I asked.
Basically, it is an over sized mouse. Well that I can handle.
I find it humorous that I will go on safari for spiders or snakes but a tiny "mouse" bothers me about as much as a chihuahua. Once upon a time I actually wanted a fancy rat for a pet. Too many cats in my house though. They would be glued to his little tank windows 24/7. I decided that might do some emotional or psychological damage to said fancy rat. I had a hamster though as a kid. It bit me and died. That was a traumatic time for me.
We have a lawn service that comes and sprays every month to keep the grass pretty. Harvey appears to fine with that. Also Harvey eats the grubs in the soil that kill my grass. Go Harvey!
He not only eats bugs but smaller animals like say field mice.
Oh I like Harvey.
He seems to have no interest in coming indoors and keeps other vermin from doing so. Harvey is my little buddy. I talk to him when I garden outside. Unlike the evil squirrels from base housing Harvey is not a vegetarian intent on eating all of my plants. Good boy, Harvey!
As to our chance meeting this morning, no matter how much I like Harvey I do not want to meet him when I am barefoot and about to squish him. Harvey can really move. He trucked it back home. "Stay downstairs Harvey!" I told him. Poor little fella probably had a heart attack.
I assume he is a "fella".
I am not going to turn him over to check.

No comments:

Post a Comment