Saturday, April 25, 2009

Not a Culinary Genius

Cooking is not something I do for fun. My best friend makes the most exotic sounding meals to me. She says they are easy but I do not think our culinary skills are on the same level. Like my Mom she watches a lot of cooking shows and loves to find new recipes. I only look when i have exhausted my knowledge of how to cook hamburger meat in 20 minutes or less. Like today. I tried a baked ziti recipe that was very tasty and simple to make. One problem though. The penne pasta didn't get as soft as it should have. I will add more water next time and let it cook that extra five minutes. I prefer to bake. Not very good at that either but it is more fun. Anything that is that bad for your figure is more fun to make. i love to make Paula Deen's Granite Steps Blueberry Coffee Cake. It is great to take to potlucks and such. People love it!

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

1 12-ounce can buttermilk biscuits

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously grease a 9-inch square baking dish. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well with a fork. Separate biscuit dough into 10 biscuits. Cut each biscuit into quarters, and dip each piece in melted butter and coat with brown sugar mixture. Arrange in a single layer in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the oats. Combine blueberries and granulated sugar in a bowl and toss to coat. Spoon over oats and biscuits and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup oats. Drizzle melted butter on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake is golden brown and center is done. Cool for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Inactive prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: about 20 minutes
Ease of preparation: moderately easy

You can get a step by step tutorial with pictures from Chelsea Morning's Blog. This is where I first found it. It is such a decadent dessert. I hope you bake it!

No comments:

Post a Comment