Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Maybe they are not so bad after all...

Quick note then on to the real post...
I finally broke down and watched Juno last night. I fast forwarded some. All in all it was a sweet movie about teenage pregnancy and adoption. I was really touched by the letter Juno leaves for adoptive Mom Vanessa (the one Vanessa frames). If you haven't seen it then I am not going to spoil it. If you have didn't that just hit you right in the heart? All I am going to say about that.

tarantulaguy1976's
My vote is not in favor of spiders. That being said I would like to say I have evolved a bit concerning them. My previous stance was total eradication. God created all his creatures for a reason as I have come to better understand. On YouTube I have been watching a guy who owns, breeds, and sells tarantulas. This man and his whole family care deeply for these critters and it shows. They have a huge spider named Zilla. She earned that name folks. Baby girl is one big creepy crawly! Lots of informative videos and tutorials. The thing that stuck out to me was a video that shows a T that has found himself stuck in molt (when they shed to grow). In the wild he would die or get eaten. Lucky for him he has such a nice man looking out for him. It was very delicate surgery but the two were extracted and all was well minus an injury that could not be avoided. Another video of a spider's egg sac being extracted was heartbreaking. The mother fought to give up her babies to be and then was devastated when they were gone. She looked all around her tank for the egg sac. I did not know that they were such good mommies. It had to be done and is part of the process for breeding but her "Daddy" was very upset that he made her so sad.

Do I like spiders in my house? No. Do I want to see anything suffer? Absolutely not! My tastes might run to the furry but with fewer legs as pets but even I can see the beauty in these huge arachnids. So as long as we can remain on opposite sides of the glass (same with snakes, lizards, scorpions, etc.) then I think we have an understanding.
Hats off to Tarantulaguy1976's and his wonderful family for doing a job I never could and doing so well!
Long live Zilla! I plan to keep an eye on her to see how big she gets!

I will not be rethinking how I feel about sharks so don't even ask.

4 comments:

  1. I actually squeeled with fright when I saw that tarantula. I'm not usually squeemish, but that is a huge spider! And the hissing!

    I'm a little freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Rachel, lol. They still creep me out a bit too. I would never have the courage to play with Zilla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure creepy is off terrorizing some field mice. A spider that mean has a strong will to live!

    ReplyDelete