Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Motherhood with a side of guilt


I laid Rory down for his afternoon nap and my cell phone rang. It was my girl KT who just entered the wonderful world of motherhood three weeks ago. We talked about all the little newborn milestones. Sometimes we Moms all feel a little like the cat above. Drowning in a sea of uncertainty. What is it about motherhood that incites such guilt in us? It is not guilt over rational things either.

It is about such random weirdness like wether formula tastes bad to baby?

Does he hate the smell of the detergent I use??

gasp! should I have even used detergent?!?


If you hold baby too long then you think you are spoiling him gut if you but him down to go pee then you are evil for abandoning him. Is there a chemical in the brain that creates this insanity and can we fix it? Seasoned mothers try to ease the fears and anxiety of the newbies but to be honest we too have hangups. I refuse to feed my son fish until he is three. Call it a personality quirk but at least I recognize it. Anyways we go out to eat and since I l-o-v-e seafood i order it a lot. When Rory reaches for what is on my plate I have to tell him no when usually he eats what I do. Does he think Mommy doesn't love him because she won't share? Probably not. It is what I think about though. I told KT that someday we all reach that point when we realize we are not bad mothers, just exhausted and mentally impaired as mothers.


What is your strangest mom worry?

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I tagged you. Go check it out when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I can pick out just one. I worry about the count of my kitchen knives sometimes, though. Now I'm worried about Claire not liking the detergent I use, thanks.

    I wrote you a blog. Hooray. I'm going to bed now. I will decode more of that website at another time. It makes my head hurt a little.

    ReplyDelete