Thursday, August 23, 2007

Consumer report


You've seen the articles and news campaigns about America being the most overweight nation. I am not going to dispute that. Anyone who does needs to go for a walk through a large grocery store checking out basket content versus consumer body type. As a mom I do not want my child to fall into the same bad habits that I have. The problem is that all the products geared towards keeping my child's diet healthy are big in price and small in product. Look at Juicy Juice. 100% juice with no additives. I think, "Oh that is good." but looking at the size of the jug I know that it will last about two days in my house. If you are a newcomer to my blog then you have not heard my rants about how I hate to grocery shop. I will not go to Walmart every two days just for Juicy Juice. Besides studies show that fruit juice is high in natural sugars and therefore still not good for you to have a lot of. You really ought to eat the fruit instead.

I think kids getting hooked on happy meals and soda is really due to convenience. By dinner time any parent whether working of stay at home is exhausted. Who wants to stand over the stove (especially in the summer) and prepare a meal? Enter fast food chain with his complete kids meal. The little devil on your shoulder says, "Buy the brats a burger and just relax.".


There is even a toy to keep them occupied for a whole 20 minutes before it breaks and you have to practice the Heimlich to retrieve those small parts.


I say to those healthy product pushers, make your stuff bigger for the price I am paying and I might buy it. It just isn't worth the gas/time it take now to keep my kiddo stocked. Until then I will stick with my gigantic jug of Hawaiian punch and generic apple juice.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to dispute you while you are woesome, but healthy food costs. It takes more to prepare healthy food than it does to just grab some mass produced product. It boils down to the cost of your health. I vote on paying more for groceries and less in doctor's bills, personally, but that doesn't necassarily work for everyone.
    I feel it though, believe me. My kids hate how i'm trying ot shove the healthy stuff in and the junk stuff out and I've even had to avoid an argument with my mom about my kids diets. I'll stand by opinion though. If it's not natural, it's junk.
    Excuse me, I have to go pick up cans to help pay the grocery bill now.

    ReplyDelete