Saturday, September 13, 2008

Save the slugs?

I think I may be the only woman I know that has a vendetta against spiders but will rescue a slug. When I was in elementary school I watched a friend's mom pour salt on some slugs. I was scarred for life. I was such an animal lover and bleeding heart that I was horrified at how those poor little slugs must have "suffered". Of course I then went off and happily ate my cheeseburger oblivious to the fact that Bessie the cow did not offer herself up willingly. If only PETA had caught me then I would be a vegan today.
We have some tomato plants on the back deck that have attracted the slimy set and both J and I have gone out of our way not to hurt the little critters. I say little but these guy must be body builders. They are quite fat, happy little buggers. I figure once winter hits the Midwest they are toast so I let them go. Not like there will be anything for them to eat on the deck any longer. I feed Linus and Inigo back there so that I do not have to try and jump over the ensuing madness of the feeding frenzy. Apparently slugs are okay with dog food. I guess when you are made up of snot you cannot afford to be picky.
If you ever watched Futurama you will appreciate the cartoon below of the brain slugs. That is Fry with his little brain slug that subsequently died of starvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment