Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Myths

Myths are similar to fairy tales. Stories that teach us a valuable lesson. Parables based on past religious beliefs. I learned a love for Greek and roman myths in the fifth grade. I nurtured it through out my school days until I arrived at college. My world literature course was heavy on the Greek. The insanely thick textbook is the only one I kept after completing the course. I got an A+, *brag, brag* There are many myths and stories that I am fond of. Below are some of them.
Clio. The muse of history. We named our mean old yellow cat after her. The cat is a descendant of another favored family pet that was tragically hit by a car. Clio was named as a sort of memorial to her father. She is the keeper of his history. My favorite of the nine muses.

Medea the Witch. She gave up everything she ever knew to be with the man she loved. Jason and his Argonauts landed on the shores of her father's kingdom. Princess Medea killed her father the king his heir, her brother. She did everything she could to help Jason succeed. When he left she went with him, eventually bearing him two sons. Years later Jason decides to marry another Princess for political gain. He sets aside Medea, but offers her a place as his mistress. Medea is enraged. She lashes out at Jason, who then banishes her. She is told to leave without her children and never return. Medea hatches a plan in the end gets her revenge. Jason is left with nothing in this world, as the gods favor Medea for her loyalty to them.

Eris or Discodria. The goddess of discord and chaos. Famous for rolling the golden apple marked "for the fairest" into a circle of rather narcissistic goddesses. The mischief maker. Clio the cat's adopted daughter is named for this lady. Our house was finally peaceful amongst the feline nation when the grey kitten Eris came into our lives. Our own little bringer of chaos.

My favorite myth is Hades and Persephone. It is often told as though Hades forces his will on Persephone. I prefer to think of them as the Romeo and Juliet of the Greek pantheon. They get a much better ending. I think they were in love and made it work the best way they could. As I have said time and again I am a hopeless romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment