Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Labyrinth

Plot: 15-year-old Sarah accidentally wishes her baby half-brother, Toby, away to the Goblin King Jareth who will keep Toby if Sarah does not complete his Labyrinth in 13 hours.

Tagline: Where everything seems possible and nothing is what it seems.

Trivia: The full costume for Hoggle was lost for some time. It turns out that it was lost on an airplane and later bought from the airline by 'The Unclaimed Baggage Center', a store in Scottsboro Alabama. It is now on display in their museum

Cheryl McFadden, one of the choreographers, also goes by the name Gates McFadden. McFadden plays Dr. Beverly Crusher in the TV series "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987) and in the Star Trek movies: Star Trek: Generations (1994); Star Trek: First Contact (1996); Star Trek: Insurrection (1998); and Star Trek: Nemesis (2002).

The various things that Jareth does with the crystal balls (rolling them around his arms and in his hands and so forth) are not camera tricks or any other kind of special effect. They are actually done by choreographer Michael Moschen, who is an accomplished juggler.


David Bowie did the voice (gurgling) for the baby in the song "Magic Dance".

Director Trademark: [Jim Henson] During the Goblin Battle scene, while Sarah and the gang opens the door to the Goblin Castle, you can see milk bottles near the door.

The owl in the title sequence is computer generated - the first attempt at a photo-realistic CGI animal character in a feature film.


Labyrinth. The 1986 film by Jim Henson. One of my favorites and part of several fond memories from childhood. Sarah starts out a spoiled child. She believes that her parents should leaver her alone to play and do what she wishes. Any responsibilities she is given are met with her favorite phrase "not fair!" At such a tender age she really has no idea that the world is seldom fair.

Sarah: That's not fair!
Jareth: You say that so often, I wonder what your basis for comparison is?

The transition from little girl to young woman is difficult. Labyrinth is more or less Sarah's journey. She learns that life is indeed not fair. She was right about that. Dealing with things as they come instead of bemoaning them is part of growing up.

Hoggle: Them's my rightful property. It's not fair.
Sarah: No, it isn't. But that's the way it is.

In the beginning of the film Sarah's motivation for finding Toby is staying out of trouble. She is afraid of the consequences of her actions. She expects Jareth to just give him back and forget it ever happened. Wouldn't it be nice if we could fix every mistake like that? As the movie progresses Sarah grows to understand the weight of her words. No one is responsible for her dilemma but Sarah. Fear of punishment goes on the back burner. Rescuing Toby from a fate as a goblin is the goal. If she fails Toby will suffer for her selfishness.

The Junk Lady: What's the matter, my dear, don't you like your toys?
Sarah: [comes to her senses] It's all junk!
The Junk Lady: [picks up a music box] Well, what about this? This is not junk, eh?
[pause]
Sarah: [smashes music box] Yes, it is!
[Sarah's room crumbles without notice]
Sarah: I have to save Toby!

The exchange above between the Junk Lady and Sarah prove that she has decided to put away childish things and accept responsibility. Her things that were so very important to her now are just junk in the grand scheme. Jarth offers her several chances to disappear into his domain and live an alternate life free of Parents and Toby. Each time she remembers her task and carries on toward the castle.

The end is of course the battle of wills between Sarah and Jareth. Sarah has to confront the facts. All the drama she has endured was her own creation. Jareth did things as Sarah expected them to be done.

Sarah: Give me the child.
Jareth: Sarah, beware. I have been generous, up till now. I can be cruel.
Sarah: Generous? What have you done that's generous?
Jareth: *Everything*! Everything that you wanted I have done. You asked that the child be taken. I took him. You cowered before me, I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside down, and I have done it all for *you*! I am exhausted from living up to your expectations of me. Isn't that generous?

Jareth offers the ultimate temptation. Sarah's desire to be a princess. Whether that means to be spoiled and have nothing expected of her or that she wants to be adored by a prince is a matter of opinion. Jareth appears to have feelings for Sarah. He desires her company beside him as queen.

Jareth: Everything I've done, I've done for you. I move the stars for no one.

Jareth is a spoiled boy himself. Does her truly love Sarah or just the novelty of someone who does not do as he is told? If she complied to his wishes would she become a discarded toy that no longer held his interest?

Jareth: I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Sarah blows Jareth away destroying his power and turning him into an owl when she tells him that he has no power over her. Jareth is King because he wields the ultimate power over everything. Sarah proclaiming otherwise cracks his hold on the people of the Labyrinth. Sarah and Toby go home. Toby looks over her baby brother and finally sees him with love instead of resentment. Her labyrinth friends crossover with her proving that they remain forever a piece of her life. Jareth the Owl watches from outside the window, now an outcast.

As I am a romantic at heart I have to be truthful for a minute. I always wanted Sarah and Jareth to get together. I wanted Sarah to make Jareth a good King and rule by his side. Maybe after Sarah finished growing up she would find the Owl. Jareth would have become humbled by his time imprisoned in his avian form. Sarah would break the spell and the two would live happily ever after. Yeah I know, wrong movie.

2 comments:

  1. Great synopsis, and I love the notes about Hoggle's costume, and Gates McFadden choreographing the movie :) Just one question: did you get permission from the artists who made the images you included in the post? For example, the drawing of baby Toby in the "Babysitter" t-shirt is by pika-la-cynique ( http://pika-la-cynique.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dv25eh ), the picture of Jareth and Sarah is by mercuralis ( http://mercuralis.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1frjvc ), and the one with Sarah and the Fireys is by child-of-neglect ( http://child-of-neglect.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d9p8rq ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I did not. Which is why after I read this comment I deleted them from the post. I have learned since this post was originally published what a mistake it was for me to post the beautiful artwork without giving credit to the artist. I had honestly forgotten than I had them out there. Forgive me! I encourage people to visit the links to see the them and acknowledge the talent of the artist.

    ReplyDelete