Monday, December 15, 2008

Welcome to the neighborhood.

The WWF (World Wildlife Federation or is it Fund?) are reporting more than 1000 species discovered over the last decade. Read the whole article here.
"...Mekong River, which flows through Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and the southern Chinese province of Yunnan."
You can add the locations above to places I do not plan to visit. They were never all that high on my list. Among the treasure trove of new discoveries was a hot pink millipede laced with cyanide. He is very fashionable in the spring and summer but come fall he is so not in style. The color is to warn predators that not only do I taste bad but I will make you go toes up!
Plenty of lizards, fish, and snakes including this pit viper. Very pretty color but doesn't look friendly. He looks like he does not appreciate his picture being taken. As a photographer how do you snap a pic of that comfortably without a thick sheet of glass to between you. Do any snakes look friendly? Can some one find me a pic of a happy snake?

What is an expedition without spiders the size of dinner plates! Call me old fashioned but I prefer to travel sans arachnid. Lucky for the WWF the spiders were game for a little social interaction. Obviously he is not a relative of the Itsy Bitsy Spider. If this big boy had sat down next to Little Miss Muffet she would have had a massive coronary instead of just running away. Few spiders in this world earn my respect. I am a specist. I will admit it. I discriminate against certain Phylum. This arthropod I would have to his due. If I find you in my house, you can keep it. Just forward my mail.

Everything they found was not creepy crawly. Some new bats, rats, and flowers that are very pretty. My favorites were the annamite striped rabbit and the Laotian rock rat.
The tiger stripes just scream "I'm fierce, rowr!"

He reminds me of a chinchilla. I can overlook the part about him being a rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment