Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Celebrity Stalkers and a Friend Remembered.

"You are not really famous until you are being harassed or stalked."

That was in a newsletter i received from one of my favorite authors. It was her response to fans questioning the sudden appearance of bodyguards at book signing and events. She said that someone had told her that "famous" quote long ago and it saddened her to have to use it. I think it stinks that she cannot enjoy being with her fans for fear of who might be a little to enthusiastic. Stalking takes time and energy. I am too lazy to get that involved. However it does remind me of a time when I was obsessed with celebrities along with my girlfriends.

I remember in 5th grade that all the girls were in love with Jonathan Taylor Thomas. Remember the middle son on Home Improvement? He was however the personal property of my friend Holly. In her mind at least. There were three girls in my group. Holly, Lauren, and Meghan. Lauren, Meghan, and I were not allowed to have posters or any other JTT merchandise. (don't tell but I did have one poster.) I vaguely remember Lauren had a crush on the kid from Rookie of the Year. Meghan was more level headed. She had too many of the real live boys chasing after her to waste time on out of reach conquests. There was one day that she got fed up with Lauren who was major bossy and pretended to like her crush just to get under her skin. Meghan is one of the least vindictive people I know so it was unexpected of her and rather funny. Meghan and I were BFF's through high school until extra curricular actvities and boyfriends pulled us in different direction. We still had the occasional sleepovers and remain friends even though we both moved to different states. Writing this makes me remember how much I miss her. I think my next stop needs to be Facebook to write her a letter. She remains on of maybe three friends I had growing up that I would drive cross country for. You hear that Meghan? When you get married I better get an invite!

In case you were wondering who my celebrity crush was the answer is Johnathon Brandis. He starred on SeaQuest DSV every Saturday night. The show was good but I was really only there for the eye candy.
Sadly he died a few years ago from complications after an attempted suicide. I was sad that one of the biggest crushs from my youth had passed. It was like a small chapter of my life was finished that day. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment