Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Fat and friends

I usually make a trip over to Sassy's house once a week so our boys can play. That is not true. I go to Sassy's house so I can chit chat on her couch. We just say it is for the boys so we can feel better about our constant need each other's company. Our husbands worry about our bizarre attachment.

So when I am at Sassy's I watch the Rachel Ray show with her because that is her routine. I don't sit still long enough to watch it regularly. Yesterday Rachel had a woman on who was upset because she had lost all her friends after having gastric bypass surgery. I knew they show was going to spin it as she became a snob and was mean to her 'fat' friends. I was right. They showed the woman a tape of her mother talking about the horrible things her daughter had said that pushed people away. Personally I was a bit offended.

I am overweight for my height. No I am not huge or grotesque but I have work to do after I have my daughter. I am determined to get into a healthy range for myself and for my family. However there is no getting around the fact that I do fit into the category of fat. I have gained next to nothing with my pregnancy so my weight is not to be blamed on it.

This woman on Rachel Ray was in the 300 pound range at her heaviest. She felt gastric bypass was her best choice so she made that decision. She now weighs 140 pounds went from a size 26 to size 4. How wonderful for her to be healthy and happy. And where are her friends who should he supporting her and rejoicing in her victories? Oh they are mad because she said she needed to buy new clothes to replace her fat clothes. Was she supposed to call them her big boned clothes? Even calling them her over wight or obese clothes would sting someone who was the current weight and size of the clothes she planned to discard. This is a no win situation.

Her mother was offended when she asked to try on an outfit and was told it would not fit her. "Well we always used to share clothes." the mother says. Sassy is a few sizes under me. If I tried on a pair of her jeans they would not go over my hips. That is just a fact. Style math says that 24 does not go into 4. I felt really bad for the poor woman. I think she was treated unfairly by her friends rather than the other way around.

Sassy has been dieting and working hard to lose her baby weight since last April. She looks fantastic and I am so happy for her. To me it is encouraging. I know that if I can stick it out like Sassy that I can have similar results. I love it when Sassy can call me and tell me has gone down another size or that her jeans are getting loose. She deserves to be happy with her image. I am never offended when she mentions her fat clothes or that she is finally out of a specific size. Maybe I am just a better friend, shouldn't we all feel like that about our bestie?

No comments:

Post a Comment