Monday, October 8, 2007

Gremlins (1984)

No. 24 Gremlins

Plot outline: A boy inadvertently breaks 3 important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town.

Tag line: Don't get him wet, keep him out of bright light, and never feed him after midnight


Trivia: At the end, when the old Chinese shopkeeper comes to get Gizmo, you can hear Gizmo say, "Baba," which is Chinese for "Dad".

In Chris Columbus's original script, Lynn Peltzer was killed by the gremlins and her head rolled down the stairs. This along with several other darker elements (ie, the family dog is eaten by the gremlins, the gremlins attack a McDonald's and eat the customers but refuse to touch the hamburgers) were never shot due to the fact that both, Joe Dante and Warner Bros. wanted the movie to be more family oriented.

I have always been terrified of this film. I saw it as a child and have been forever plagued by gremlin related nightmares. My greatest fear in the dark was that gremlins were hiding under my bed waiting to eat me. To this day I am still scared of this one.


2 comments:

  1. I am now going to hide under my blanket because I am terrified of this movie, too.

    ReplyDelete