Friday, June 6, 2008

Dr. Dense

A good doctor, one you can really trust & talk to, is worth his/her weight in gold.

Lorelei had her 2 month well baby check up this afternoon. Being that we are military my choices in pediatricians is limited. In fact I had an appointment with my usual guy Doctor V. but since I was so early they just went ahead and put me in with the new guy Dr. C. I should have just told them I wanted to wait for my regular time slot to roll around.

When we got in the exam room Dr. C asks me about any concerns I have. I stated that she has reflux (per diagnosis from the neonatalogist at the hospital she was born in) and vomits anywhere from 1-3 ounces of her bottle at most feedings. She only gets four ounces at a time. She is growing right on target so it is not a huge concern but I just though to throw it out there. My son also had reflux so I am quite used to it and know my fair share about it. We did a swallow study and all sorts of madness just to get the correct diagnosis with Rory.

Anyways, back to my point. I tell the Dr. that she throws up 1-3oz and he responds tartly "Oh, you measured it?" I am not a confrontational person but i dearly despise being treated like an idiot. I looked at him, smiled and said "Yes, I did." He then drags me into a conversation about my vomit measurement where he proceeds to explain to me that she does not throw up more than half and ounce. So now I am an idiot and a liar.

To add insult to injury he tells me that spitting up is normal and people, meaning me, just don't seem to realize that. In case you have lost count, I am now and Idiot, a Liar, and do not know what I am talking about. During all of this Lorelei threw up 3 times. If only her aim was better and the Dr. C had gotten a little bit closer the appointment might have ended on a happier note for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment