Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bursitis. I has it.

After waking up two night in a row writing in pain I decided to go to the Doctor. Sunday and Monday in the early AM I would have sworn to you tiny gremlins with dull spoons were busy trying to pop my knee cap off. Pain was shooting down my calf into my ankle and foot. I had visions of torn ligaments and ACL's. My mind began to wander in the direction of surgery, IVs, rehab Oh My! I put my panic on the back burner and made my way into Scott's Clinic.

The Doc and I chatted and she said it was unlikely spoon wielding Gremlins were the culprits. She had be lay down on the table to begin her examination. Twist the leg this way, twist the leg that way. No pain, no problem. Just my luck I go to the doctor to find nothing wrong, right? Not this time. She swung my leg around and my chorus of "no,no,no" to her "Does this hurt?" became "WHOA NELLY!" Diagnosis: I have fluid under my knee cap aka Bursitis. Knowing why something hurts goes a long way towards making it feel not quite so bad.

Not so bad that I have to have it drained off, thank heavens. Just lots of extra strength Tylenol. I have to ice it several times a day to keep swelling from occurring. During the day when I am most active and at night when I sleep I must keep it wrapped with an ace bandage. That is to help the fluid reabsorb into the knee cap by holding it still. It could take up to a month for all the fluid to reabsorb. A nice bonus is that I will probably have this as a new life long buddy. I have the tools to cope with it so I try not to complain. I am grateful that I am not going to have any big needles jabbed into my knee and glad I live in the era of modern medicine. Imagine what life would be like otherwise. *shudder*

1 comment:

  1. My mom has that in her hips. I hope it's getting better quickly for you.
    I had a cortisone shot in my knee once. For someone that's had unmentionable parts of her body peirced, I yelled like... well, insert your own alliteration here. It hurt. I cried for twenty minutes. I'm glad you won't have needles poking your kneecaps anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete