Saturday, December 29, 2007

Holiday Hoopla

Christmas in Florida was great. We had the usual presents Christmas morning, loads of people to visit, dinner at two different locations, stockings on Christmas eve. The usual Jackson family Christmas schedule just in a different state this time. J and I went to see I am Legend, which I though t was not very good. The CGI monsters were down right pitiful. We also watched Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem with my Brother in law and his wife. I liked it okay but it was obvious the directors decided to "make it their own". I will be doing a separate blog about that movie tomorrow. Actually the funniest stories I have to share with you are not truly holdiay related at all. Isn't always like that?

Rory tried to give himself brain damage. He hit the same spot on his forehead over and over. First was the corner of a book shelf that left a nice crease for about an hour. Grandma helped him bonk it on the ceramic tile floor and the bathroom door not once but twice. This was followed by a temper snit of his that ended with him head butting the rim of a very thick glass. He quickly found out that hurt no one else and would be best not to repeat it during the next tantrum. Last (that I can attest to) was when he opened the silverware drawer and well, you know.

I had several blonde moments. My two favorites are when I told my cousin's GF what I got her for Christmas BEFORE she had a chance to open it and when I tried to shut the trunk to the van on my head. Guess we know where Rory gets his affinity for head wounds.

Let's see then there was the cat fiasco parts 1 and 2.

Part 1: Simon escapes
J and I get back from a goodbye breakfast at IHOP with his family to find the front door to my Aunt L's house locked. I can see my mother eating her breakfast at the table and working on a sudoku puzzle. This would normally be the point in the story when the locked out party knocks and is heard. Not in mine. Mom is deaf so no can hear me. J found a window unlocked and we broke in. The smart thing to do would have been to immediately put the screen back on the window. Again not done in this story. The window was in our room so we opened later for some cooler air and Simon leaps for freedom. J and Aunt L go out into the pitch darkness to find him. J has to herd the runaway from several houses down only to be attacked by the frightened feline. Finally they got him corralled and back inside but not without J looking like he was on the losing end of a bar fight. That is what we told him to tell people. No one wants to admit they got whooped by a cat.

Part 2: Squeaky turns blue
Finally on the road home to IL when I hear a hacking gurgle from the backseat. Mom's cat is vomiting cat food on the presents. Pull over, glare at cat, clean up. Drive another 30 miles and more hack/gurgle. Pull over, beat cat, clean up. All the excitement has set poor kitty into one of his asthma attacks. Now we have to find a vet in Andalusia, AL. One hour and $98 later back on the road.

It's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment